Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Setting a Budget!

The dreaded word that all brides hate to hear.....BUDGET!  At least it was for me.  My husband and I were not only trying to save for our wedding, but also buy a home months before.  Crazy - I know! But you would be surprised of how many couples have been in that exact same situation.

We started off with getting quotes on the most important vendors, such as venue and caterer, then built around those.  With me being the creative DIY girl that I am, I had TONS of ideas that I wanted at our wedding.  Yes I was saving money by doing those myself, but were they necessary?  Probably not, but they were things that I wanted.  And that is something that should always be in the forefront of your planning.

What do you WANT and what can you live without?  Start with picking the things that mean the most.  If you have always dreamed of an outdoor wedding, do it.  If you couldn't imagine having your reception without a plated dinner, do it.  Even if that means flying your photographer in from a different state because they are that awesome!  This is not me telling you to go crazy and spend all kinds of money, because it can be easily done, trust me.  Picking the things you love most, doesn't mean you can pick everything you love most (unless of course you have a large budget).

A suggestion that I would give to any client is pick the costly things first (tweaking along the way if needed), then build from there.  If you have a certain dollar amount to stay under for the entire event, keep that in mind at ALL times!  It is very easy to get carried away with this table cloth, that centerpiece and those intricate lights that only the most expensive store has.  This is where a coordinator/planner, like myself, could come in handy.  Someone to constantly say, is that really in your budget or let's see if we can get it at a better rate. 

I think a lot of brides aren't aware of the financial responsibility a wedding can have.  There are definitely ways around it, but sticker shock will happen one way or another.  Be sure to explore your options and compare them all before making any decisions.  At the end of the day, you are marrying your best friend, soul mate and forever love - that is all that should matter. 

~Keeping it Simply Southern~
                  Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment